Saturday 24 March 2012

Elliot Bay Book Company

The Elliot Bay Book Company is one of my favorite bookstores in the world, hands down. :) Of course, I still have about 98% of the world I haven't covered but from all that I've seen and places that I've been to, it's still one of the most awesome bookstores. I'm so glad that I managed to go there this time round because it's tougher for me to get downtown by myself from my aunt and uncle's place in the neighboring city but thankfully, when I was out with Jess for Molly Moon's ice cream at Capitol Hill, this happened to be right within walking distance! :D Oh, happiness.


Photobucket   
Nothing gets my heart beating faster than rows and rows of books, all ready and waiting. 
Photobucket PhotobucketOne thing I love about this place is the individual pieces of post-its stuck all over the place reviewing books of all sorts. There must be hundreds of them in the store and it's always great to read a short review of the book by someone other than published book critics. I like this sort of attention to detail.  
Photobucket Photobucket 
There's even a cafe where customers can read their books, chat with friends, relax and have a good time. My kind of place. Photobucket Photobucket  
Honestly, I could've stayed for hours and hours here just looking through all the shelves. There was even a section selling Elliot Bay Book Company tee-shirts! :) I'm such a fan of such merchandise though of course the real fans probably wouldn't even bother with such superficial shows of loyalty and would just show up faithfully every week for a book or reading. I wish I could do the same. If I lived in Seattle I would definitely be going to this place every week, at the very least! It's cosy, charming, rustic and makes you want to READ. A couple of things I walked away with:
Photobucket  

1. In Pursuit of Silence by George Prochnik 


2. Magical Thinking by Augusten Burroughs 
(Both of these were in the Bargain Books section! I've only started on the first but it's a great read so far.) 


3. If There Is Something To Desire by Vera Pavlova This is an EXCELLENT book of poetry!! I'm in love with this poet now. And to think it was a completely unplanned find. It helps that the book cover was so intriguing. But I love her poems. And I like the fact that most of them are short and succinct yet still are able to elicit a rush of emotion from within me. 


4. The latest issue of BITCH Magazine which I promptly left at my uncle's place :(((( But thankfully, they've got a website. Check it out! After reading a few articles such as this one on blogging, I knew it was a keeper. Where has this publication been all my life?? Makes me feel kinda guilty really, reading that article about lifestyle blogging but really, there are so many truths to it. Might do a more lengthy post about it soon but in the meantime, if you're a blogger or have been following lifestyle blogs, it's a really interesting and thought-provoking article to read! 


I'm glad that now I've got a little more time to read. These past few weeks have really made me think a bit more about what I want to do with my life and one of the conclusions I've come to is that no matter what, I'd like to do something that will allow me to have enough time in life to do the things I enjoy. Something as simple and enjoyable as reading shouldn't be something we do once a year when we are on holiday or finally taking a break from work. It should be something we always have the time for. Just my thoughts. 


xx

1 comment:

  1. Wow! This place looks amazing. I love those bookstores where you wander around and time just disappears.

    ReplyDelete